#1 - Shopstyle Mobile Parity Analysis
Shopstyle has an adaptive website. After Google switched them to mobile-first in summer 2019, they saw a drop in organic clicks.
The challenge was to investigate what was causing the drop in traffic. I used data from two crawls (desktop and mobile user-agents). Segmenting the data by page type with Python and analysing with Pandas.
One of the key findings was the title tags for mobile and desktop not matching on listing pages. Upon manual investigation, the mobile version was using branding before the keyword. Whilst the desktop version had branding after the keyword.
This issue was occurring on 100k+ listing pages. These were the money pages for the business and contributing to a gradual drop in revenue. It was a quick global fix and was immediately implemented.
There was an almost 90% MoM increase in organic clicks. The straight line shows when the 30 day period before presenting the findings.
#2 - Virgin Media Migration
Virgin Media migrated its cable, broadband, and mobile pages to Adobe Experience Manager (AEM).
The main challenge was to mitigate the loss of organic traffic. The main purpose of the migration was to improve the experience of the site. This meant consolidating old pages and adding more dynamic modules to new pages.
- The main tasks were:
- - Regular crawling and manual testing of the staging site to spot bugs.
- - Working with the product manager and developers to ensure the new pages crawl and render.
- - Setting up a 301 mapping document based on existing traffic data and backlink data.
- - Compromising with UX and copy teams to ensure the new pages didn't lose keywords they ranked for.
- - Thorough benchmarking to test the performance of migration.
The migration went smoothly with minimal loss to organic traffic. There was a boost in online conversions and site performance.
#3 - The Sole Supplier Traffic Drop Investigation
The Sole Supplier upgraded their site from Wordpress to a Headless CMS with a React JS front-end. The migration happened in early-December, but there was a slight drop in organic traffic.
I used data from pre-migration and post-migration crawls. This data was segmented by page type using Python. A holistic analysis was carried out using Pandas to determine the issue.
- Below are some of the metrics used:
- - Average links in count.
- - Average links out count.
- - Average word count.
- - Average GSC clicks.
- - Average impressions.
The main takeaway was that the listing pages were missing key widgets compared to the old site. Also, the pagination had a bug preventing the crawling of older product pages.
The changes were fixed very quickly. There was an almost 40% rise in organic traffic.
Other recent projects
- eBay - Technical SEO audit for the US, Italy and German sites.
- Deliveroo - Full technical SEO audit and internal linking audit.
- N Brown - Regular crawl monitoring and platform migration support to Bloomreach.
- Merriam Webster - Internal linking and page type analysis that led to stakeholder buy-in.
- Get Your Guide - Building a customised segmentation and site architecture script with Python and Pandas.
- Odisha TV - Investigation into the gradual traffic drop for this regional Indian publisher.
- Findmypast - Regular crawl monitoring and crawl budget optimisation using log file analysis.
- Lloyds Bank - Competitive audit comparing 4 competitors in terms internal linking, content and backlink data.
- RS Components - Taxonomy optimisation project for the UK site.